The UK Tier 1 Investor Residence Program
The UK government welcomes visa applications from those with capital to invest. The UK Tier 1 Investor Visa is suitable for individuals who have at least £2 million to make such an investment in the UK subject to meeting other requirements.
In order to be eligible for the UK Tier 1 investor visa application, the Applicant must:
- Invest at least £2,000,000 in UK government bonds, share capital or loan capital in active and trading UK registered companies.
- Be a citizen of a country outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland.
- Be over 18 years of age.
- Provide evidence that the investment funds belong to either the Applicant or the Applicant’s spouse, unmarried or same-sex partner.
- Open a UK bank account.
- Hold the investment funds in one or more regulated financial institutions.
- Prove that the funds are free to spend (‘disposable’) in the UK.
- While the program does not have a requirement to pass an English language test, this will be required if and when the applicant wishes to apply for permanent residence (normally after five years).
- Tuberculosis Certificates from China.
- Police Clearance Certificates are required for main applicant and all adult dependents accompanying him/her to the UK for all countries in which they have resided for more than twelve months in the last ten years.
The Tier 1 (Investor) visa is valid for a maximum of 3 years and 4 months and can be extended for another 2 years.
Applicants are allowed to live, work and study in the UK with their immediate family as soon as they receive acceptance from the Home Office (usually 28 days after application). The amount of the investment determines when the Applicant can apply for permanent residence (“Indefinite Leave to Remain”) in the UK as follows:
- £2-million: 5 years
- £5 million: 3 years
- £10 million: 2 years
The Applicant is NOT ALLOWED to:
- Invest in companies mainly engaged in property investment, property management or property development
- Work as a professional sportsperson or sports coach
- Gain access to public funds
- Work as a doctor or dentist in training
- Copies of the personal pages of main applicant’s Passport
- Copies of personal pages of accompanying family member’s Passports.
- Copy of Marriage Certificate.
- Copy of children’s Birth Certificates.
- Copy CV/Resume of main applicant.
- Evidence as to the availability of £2million to invest in the UK, including in whose name it is held, country where funds held and name of Bank.
- Details of any UK Bank where main applicant holds an account.
- Police Clearance Certificates for main applicant and spouse/partner for each country in which he/she has resided for at least twelve months in the last ten years.