Personal Practice Summary
Juan Carlos Madrigal divides his time between Taipei and Shanghai. He provides strategic advice and practical operational support to U.S., European and Latin American clients in market entry and expansion activities, cross cultural commercial negotiations, strategic partner selection, business dispute mediation, corruption investigations, background checks, and M&A transactions in China and Taiwan.
Juan’s multi-cultural background, business acumen and deep understanding of global market trends and the local business environment in Greater China allow him to effectively bridge language, cultural, and business mentality gaps commonly encountered by foreign and Chinese investors during business negotiations and disputes. He is adept at developing win-win scenarios in complex situations by addressing all business and legal issues while catering to the cultural sensitivities and personality types of all decision makers in the room.
Significant Recent Projects
- Assist Fortune 500 company with an investigation of a former PRC employee suspected to have registered a patent through a proxy to circumvent patent/invention assignment agreements with the company.
- Assist multinational company with internal embezzlement and kickbacks investigations in China including forensic legal and financial document review, interviews with key employees, on-the-ground intelligence gathering, and interaction with local law enforcement and US counsel.
- Represent Latin American private energy generation company and its financiers in negotiations with Taiwanese engineering company to restart distressed engineering, procurement and construction project. Coordinate implementation of new agreement.
- Represent South American plastics manufacturer in insurance claims, litigation and settlement negotiations against a Chinese insurer and a foreign freight forwarder arising from damage caused to production machinery during transit.
- Represent Central American logistics company in a controversy related to an insurance claim with a Taiwanese partner and a Taiwanese insurer to reduce the amount of the claim while ultimately protecting the relationship with this key partner.
Assist ministry-level agency of a Himalayan country to conduct research and coordinate internal/external resources to develop a proposal to create a comprehensive Biodiversity Legal Rights Framework.
- Assist NYSE listed high tech company in cross border investigation related to potential trade secret leakage by a former high level employee to a competitor.
- Represent PRC apparel company in negotiations with US based publicly listed brand management company to settle multiple mutual trademark infringement lawsuits and design an alternative cooperative framework to jointly approach the Chinese market.
- Advice TAIEX high tech manufacturing company during negotiations to establish a three-way touch screen component manufacturing joint venture in China.
- Draft business plans for client startups in industries including online content delivery, luxury products, bio-fuels, renewable energy, manufacturing and high tech.
- Pamir Law Group, Taipei, Taiwan (2006 to present)
- iChinaForum.com, Taipei, Taiwan (2010)
- Western Union International Latin America Regional Operations Center, San Jose, Costa Rica
- Tecnomercadeo Latinoamericano, San José, Costa Rica
- International MBA (International Business and Management in Asia Concentrations), National Chengchi University, Taipei, Taiwan (2005-2007)
- Chinese Language and Culture Program, National Taiwan Normal University, Taipei, Taiwan (2003)
- B.S. With Honors, Information Systems Engineering, Universidad Latinoamericana de Ciencia y Tecnología, San José, Costa Rica (2002)
- Spanish (Native)
- English (Native)
- Mandarin Chinese (Fluent)
- Portuguese (Basic)