Personal Practice Summary
Nick has been traveling and working in China since 1973. He is the managing partner of Pamir Law Group, an international law and business consulting firm based in Asia with offices in Beijing, Shanghai and Taipei, with a long track record of successfully closing transactions in a broad range of industries in China and Taiwan.
He is a practical, street-smart client resource who provides: (i) an integrated business and legal approach focused on Client Growth, (ii) a Focus on Results, (iii) Cost Effectiveness, (iv) Effective Communication, and (v) Home Turf Advantage in Greater China.
He has successfully completed hundreds of foreign investments into Greater China in all coastal and many interior provinces for Fortune 100 Multinational Corporations, privately held and family group companies and private equity groups from the US, Europe and Japan. He has closed over USD5 billion in deals in the region. He assists companies and investors to develop and implement practical cross border strategies and programs to achieve safer business operations and growth.
He supports CXO’s, general counsels and international law firms to manage, protect and grow their businesses safely with practical effective solutions across a full range of financial, manufacturing, sourcing, distribution, and service industries. He offers both (i) strategic planning support, as well (ii) specific project/operational support in the last mile, both in a manner which reflects decades of practical market experience.
Whether protecting IP/technology/trade secrets; implementing integrated labor management programs; conducting full FCPA/corruption and corporate due diligence and securing EHS and anti-competition regulatory approvals for combinations; structuring effective corporate/tax structures to support the business; training legal and management teams in operational issue, he supports both business and legal officers to achieve their goals. He has advised on a wide range of cross-border transactions in diverse industries over three decades including in TMT, clean/green tech, alternative and traditional energy, leisure/hotel/food and beverage and service businesses, infrastructure project finance, aircraft finance, complex litigation, government relations and multi-jurisdictional anti-trust and IP/trade secret litigation matters.
He is a supporter of grass roots community development NGO’s in China and Taiwan.
Professional Association and Activities
- China-Europe Arbitration Commission, arbitrator
- CIETAC (all China), SHIAC (Shanghai) and SCIA (Shenzhen) arbitration commissions, arbitrator
- Taiwan M&A and Private Equity Council, International Committee, Vice Director
- American Chamber of Commerce “AmCham”/European Council on Commerce and Trade “ECCT” (Taipei), Greater China
- Business Committee Co-Chairperson (2000-present)
- American Society of International Law
- Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund, Founder and Board Member (1975-present)
- District of Columbia Bar (1983-present)
- European Council on Commerce and Trade “ECCT” (Taipei), Chairman of Greater China Committee (1995-1997), Board of Directors (2001)
- Green Consumer Foundation (Taipei), non-profit environmental protection organization, Supervisor
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association, Founding Member
- US-China Peoples’ Friendship Association (1976-1984)
- Waigaoqiao (Shanghai) Bonded Zone Advisor (2001-present)
- Yale Club of Taipei, President (1990-2001)
- Pamir Law Group, Taipei, Taiwan (2004-present)
- Squire, Sanders & Dempsey L.L.P., Taipei, Taiwan (1998-2004)
- Perkins Coie, Taipei, Taiwan (1992-1997)
- Baker & McKenzie, Taipei, Taiwan (1989-1992)
- Kaye, Scholer, Fierman, Hays & Handler, New York, New York (1984-1989)
- Duncan, Allen and Mitchell, Washington DC (1982-1984)
- J.D., New York University School of Law (1982)
- B.A., Yale University (1979)
- English (native)
- Mandarin Chinese (native)
- Shanghai and Suzhou dialects (proficient)
Distinctions and Awards
- NAPABA 2012 Trailblazer Award. This award recognizes individuals who have “demonstrated vision, courage, and tenacity, and who have made substantial and lasting contributions to the Asian Pacific American (APA) legal profession, as well as the broader APA community”.
- International Law Office (「ILO」) Client Choice Award, M&A (2010) Awarded in Association with the International Bar
- Association and the European Company Lawyers Association
- Asia Law Leading Lawyers Award in China Practice, Corporate Finance & Capital Markets, Dispute Resolution, Intellectual Property, Mergers & Acquisitions, Telecommunications and Information Technology (2003-2010)